The Unseen Beauty

I wish I were..


5 kilos lighter
3 inches taller
a little bit whiter
prettier.

Those were just some of the crazy thoughts that has been running on my mind for days now. You see, in a land wherein brains are already given, beauty is the next thing a guy would look at. (If guys actually prioritize brains over beauty. Haha) Insecurity is a battle I face every semester. Nakikisabay pa sa acads. I will meet new classmates who would have it all- brains, beauty, money, fame and a perfect guy. Sila na. Sila na talaga. Friends contradicting me and telling me compliments are not that helpful, sort of. Hehe. Like saying, "Uyy hindi naman, maganda ka namaaaan." "Hindi ka naman matabaaaa." I have two eyes. I have a mirror. I have a weighing scale. I know what I am seeing.

---

Yesterday, my mentor (Jasmin) challenged us to exude Proverbs 31: 10-31. READ IT HERE! It was actually a famous chapter for women and I have read it a lot of times but have not taken it to heart. She told us to read and observe the scripture, have an interpretation and application of the chapter. Eula and I dissected each verse! Literally. Haha. As we were doing it, it made me realize that you will never appreciate the whole picture if you do not pay attention to the very least details.

"Hindi siya siguro maganda kasi puro inner beauty tapos parting words pa ay 'Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last' HAHA jokeeee'"

It was a joke. Really. =)) My first reaction was it is too idealistic to be that kind of  a woman. (to name a few: strong, brave, energetic, trustworthy, hard working, has faith, talented, honors God) but then! I remembered those respectable women I have met in and outside of church. Don't they display such characteristics? In short, this is.. not impossible! The Proverbs 31 woman did not have a struggle about the way she looks. She knew how fleeting beauty is. The only "beauty tip" there was she dresses in fine linen and purple gowns. I know.. I know.. I have to change my perspective on "beauty."

Oh and one more thing, another verse that struck me was..

12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.

Much emphasis on the latter phrase.  Jasmin shared to us her friend's insight about that- it is being the Proverbs 31 woman even before she meets her husband. Shoooocccckkkkks! Disqualified na ba ako? Hahaha! Struggle na nga yung qualities tapos dadagdagan pa ng isang issue about relationships. Haha. Whuuudduupp. =)) But you know, it is never too late to start all over again.

What a timely devotion we had. It was a beautiful reminder for me. It's just amazing how God could orchestrate happenings and speak to people on what to say and not to say. I have read a loooooot of increase-your-self-esteem-101 books (Christian and non-Christian authors) but nothing compares from personally studying the Word of God. One of my friends told me before that you cannot chew the same bubblegum someone has chewed. Chew the Word of God by yourselves! ;)

Dear female readers, uy parang ang daming nagbabasa ng entries ko. After reading this one, please have your own intimate session with God through Proverbs 31:10-31. :)

Soon-to-be Proverbs 31 women. HAHA! By God's grace :P I love these ladiess >:D<

Post a Comment

(c) Summer Lee 2011. Powered by Blogger.